Information on the Diocesan Registry, its staff, and the advice they can give to parishes, and other enquirers.
David Whitaker is Registrar of the Diocese and Legal Secretary to the Bishop of Leeds, Registrar of the Consistory Court of the Diocese and Legal Adviser of the Diocesan Synod. David is contactable on 0113 280 2102 or by email david.whitaker [at] luptonfawcett.law but in the first instance please contact one of the Clerks as below.
Staff in the Registry
- Beverley Mightly – contactable on 0113 280 2241 or by email beverley.mightly [at] luptonfawcett.law
The Registry is located at Lupton Fawcett LLP, Yorkshire House, East Parade, Leeds, LS1 5BD
Alternatively, to contact the Registry with any enquiry, please click here.
Who we are
|beverley.mightly [at] luptonfawcett.law (Beverley Mightly)
The Registrar and his staff are available to give advice to:
- the bishops and archdeacons of the Diocese
- authorised clergy (stipendiary and non-stipendiary) in the Diocese
- chairman and secretaries of boards, councils and committees of the Diocese
- area deans and lay chairman of deanery synods in the Diocese
- churchwardens and secretaries of PCC’s in the Diocese
- on legal matters properly arising in connection with the discharge of their ecclesiastical synodical and parochial offices.
Advice is also available to other enquirers concerning the law of marriage, baptism, confirmation and burial of the dead according to the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England.
The areas of expertise of the Registry include:
- Ordination and clergy appointments
- Baptism, marriage, burial and cremation
- Canon law of the Church of England
- Measures of General Synod
- Church Representation Rules
- Legal Adviser to Diocesan Synod
- Parsonage houses
- Church sites and burial grounds
- Faculties and the Consistory Court
- Consecration / licensing of buildings / burial grounds
- Ecumenical and church sharing agreements
- Legal training for clergy and churchwardens
- Publication of notes of guidance
- Charity law
Clergy Disicpline Measures
Details of Clergy Discipline Measures can be found here.